The cost of owning a horse
How much do horses cost? Here’s my answer for February.
These reports are intended to be a tool for horse enthusiasts who are considering buying (or renting) a horse and want to get a transparent look at the true cost of horse ownership.
(If you’re new to these expense reports, be sure to read the “Reminders” section here for basic information about my finances.)
Here’s a summary of where my horse money for February went:
- 15% education
- 44% stables
- 16% health
- 5% lime
- 6% insurance
- 4% travel
- 10% fun
Remember that if you’re not exploring barter opportunities, you have to get started! Sign up for our email list to get 7 ways to trade off your horse expenses and reduce your out-of-pocket money burden.
The cost of owning a horse this month
$375 // Education
- $345 – Lessons (under $210)
- $30 Basic Workout Fun Day (under $0)
If you’re taking lessons (or about to start), check out our 13 best riding shoes for lessons.
$391.97 // Health
- $215 – Barrier
- Regular shoe wear for my cow horse + trim for my barefoot pony
- $46.67 – SmartPak – EquiThrive Essential (Horse Cow)
- $46.39 – SmartPak – SmartDigest Ultra (horse-cow)
- $46.96 – SmartPak – SmartDigest Ultra (pony)
- $36.95 – SmartPak – SmartMuscle (Pony)
$115.79 // Gear
- $90 – Used fly plate and rain covers
- $40.79 Smart Quilted Wafer Leather (See on Amazon)
- (- $15) – Shipment sold at Tech Store
$144.08 // insurance
- $14.58 – Equality Responsibility
- $129.50 – Berkeley Mortality Rate and Main Medicine
1050 USD /
- $475 – Cow horse (trade for $0 for clinic management services)
- $475 – Jumping Pony (Swapped for $0 for Lesson System Management Services)
USD 107.52 // TRAVEL
- $107.52 – mileage to barn
$255.50 // Fun
- $250 – Deposit for March photoshoot for all my horses🙂
- $5.50 – Barn Tie Treats for Sharing!
- Total (before adjustments) = $2,439.86
- Total (after adjustments) = $1,224.86
- $775.14 under budget
Note: I have doubled my budget for 2022 now that I have two horses on board.
Wondering how much horses cost where you live? We divide the average cost of horses in all 50 states.
Remember, if you are amazed at the cost of horses, remember that there are plenty of other ways to get your horse fixed besides ownership.
Note: If you also hate buyer’s remorse, check out Horse Rookie Must Haves on Amazon for equestrian gear worth every penny!
PPS Buying your first horse? Check out 60 questions to ask when buying the horse of your dreams and our beginner’s guide to the best horse insurance.